Thursday 4 July 2013

Happy Independence Day!

Hello everyone,

Of course today is the major American patriotic holiday of the year - Independence Day (4th July).

I may not be American yet, and despite having never celebrated this holiday (I've never even been in the US visiting when it's the 4th), it is inevitable that in view of my current situation, at some time in the not too distant future I will probably be celebrating the 4th July as an American!

Jon and I have had lots of adventures across the US since we have known each other, so I thought I would share some of those with you here.
(I of course had adventures in the US prior to knowing Jon, but the point of this blog is about my immigration to the US having met Jon, so pictures of my travels with him are decidedly more appropriate!)

Oddly enough, Jon and I don't tend to get pictures together very often, so most of my pictures below are of me that Jon has taken.
If I'm not in them, then I took them.

Here goes!

The first time I ever went to Washington, D.C, it was gay pride! How convenient! I couldn't write a 4th July post on my gay immigration blog, and not have some gay pride pictures!

Washington DC Pride March
Washington DC Pride March

I also got to visit the White House, and many of the other famous monuments around the capital city.

Me at the White House!
Me at the US Capitol in Washington DC
The Jefferson Memorial, Washington DC
Me at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Memorial
Me at the Lincoln Memorial in Washington DC

We've been back to DC many times since. My favourite time of year is Christmas, with the National Christmas Tree, and all the smaller States trees.
Here's a selection of pictures from my various other adventures in DC over the years.

The Smithsonian Institute
The White House
The Washington Monument
World War II Monument
US Flags
US Capitol - House of Representatives entrance
Washington Monument by night
The US Capitol as seen from outside The United States Botanic Garden The National Archives A rare one of Jon and I together, taken by our good friend Louise.
  Jon and I at the White HouseThe US Capitol The National Christmas Tree The National Christmas Tree and the Washington Monument The National Christmas Tree and the White House The National Christmas Tree display Chinatown gate Pink flowers on a tree Cherry Blossoms and the Washington Monument Cherry Blossoms
We have also visited New York City several times.

Me at the Statue of Liberty A view into Central Park At the Rockefeller Center Exploring Times Square Exploring Times Square The Naked Cowboy in Times Square Me and the Manhattan skyline Me and "Lady Liberty" in Times Square One last visit to Minnie before heading back to VA New York City from above New York City from above Jon and I at the Top of the Rock

We have visited Philadelphia, PA a couple of times.

Me and the Liberty Bell Mario the Magnificent, the Drexel Dragon Giant Dominoes Giant Dominoes Me at Independence Hall The Liberty Bell Abraham Lincoln plaque, Independence Hall John F. Kennedy plaque, Independence Hall

My all-American tour wouldn't be complete without some of the country's famous theme parks, including Hershey Chocolate World and Busch Gardens Williamsburg.

Hershey's Chocolate World Me at Chocolate World Meeting Hershey Meeting Peppermint Pattie Jon and I meeting Kiss Sesame Street Forest of Fun Wandering thru the Park The Secret Life of Predators
Then of course there's Disney and Universal. Jon and I visit these parks frequently, and I have literally tens of thousands of pictures. Disney is our life. So instead of re-posting all those here, visit our own Disney website, and take a look at everything Disney (and Universal) we've ever done!

We have also visited Williamsburg, VA and Jamestown, VA to visit Pocahontas's origins.

Arriving in Williamsburg Reclaiming Williamsburg for the British! Jamestown Settlement Visitor Center Jamestown Settlement Visitor Center Exploring Historic Jamestowne

A random fact for you... I actually live just down the road from the 'sister' statue to the one below, depicting Pocahontas. The one below is of course at Jamestowne, VA.
The statue where I live sadly marks the place she is buried.

  Pocahontas statue

We have visited to Great Falls, VA.

Great Falls, Virginia Me at Great Falls, Virginia Me at Great Falls, Virginia

Luray Caverns, VA is another cool place.

Luray Caverns Me in the caves Luray Caverns

The National Air and Space Museum in VA is neat.

Enterprise National Air and Space Museum National Air and Space Museum
We've seen the bright lights of Hollywood!

The Hollywood sign from the Hollywood & Highland Complex Checking out the celebrities at Grauman's Chinese Theatre Checking out the celebrities at Grauman's Chinese Theatre Grauman's Chinese Theatre

We've been to a Renaissance Faire in Maryland.

Maryland Renaissance Festival Maryland Renaissance Festival Maryland Renaissance Festival Maryland Renaissance Festival

The MD city of Baltimore, and the MD State Capital Annapolis are nice. Annapolis has old world charm.

USS Constellation, Baltimore Baltimore Inner Harbour Welcome to Annapolis sign Me once again trying on ridiculous hats... Exploring Annapolis Windmills at Maryland State House

We've been to the Civil War battlegrounds in Gettysburg, PA (admittedly not the most heart stopping thing we've ever done, and not somewhere I'd rush back to!).

Me at the Gettysburg Visitor Center Civil War Cannon Civil War Cannon Civil War LARP group View over the Gettysburg Battlefields
San Diego is a beautiful city, and somewhere I want to go back to when I get the time.

Exploring Old Town Down at the water front Down at the water front Exploring Balboa Park Me Exploring Balboa Park Exploring Old Town Seal Exploring Balboa Park Jon and I Exploring Old Town

We have been on many more adventures of course, too numerous to count really. But I thought that those depicted above, summed up our highlights of the last 5 years.
You may have noticed a running theme, that where possible, I tried to include little nods to British things.

Anyway, have a great weekend everyone! Enjoy the holiday and summer fun!

Dan.

2 comments:

  1. You look very different in that first photo. LOL! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it really notice? I've not been going to the gym as often, that's for sure! LOL.

      Delete