Sunday 30 June 2013

Clarification on the newly approved green card applications

Hello everyone,

Yesterday I posted that same sex bi-national couples have started receiving their approval notices from the US immigration services.
I  made the comment that these must have been ones submitted before DOMA was thrown out.

I did some looking around the internet, and I posted in some Facebook groups, and it seems - from what I can tell - I was right.
Now, in the process of me asking around I had some very 'off' replies from people who claimed that they don't see my point, and that they "didn't have anything to lose" at that point when they filed.

I'm no immigration expert by any means, but it was a risk, and they did have something to lose.
When you enter the US on a visa waiver or tourist visa, they ask you if you have ever been denied entry into the US.
I realise this doesn't necessarily translate to "have you ever been denied a green card application?", but I would not want to fly to DC, turn up at the border, and be told to go back home. They can ban you from the country for 5 years for that.
Maybe I'm missing the point. I don't know. But it does seem that these people took a huge risk.
It's bad enough being separated by distances as it is, let alone not being allowed into the country!

If you are currently in a situation like Jon and I, where you are about to file or waiting until you get some better legal advice, just make sure you research all the facts first.
The outcome is the most important thing, and you don't want to mess it up!

Dan.

1 comment:

  1. I can see your point, but I can also see the point of the people who applied for green cards prior. Like you, they were also wanting to start their lives and were either trying to take a stand or have a basis for a legal case. Yes, it is a risk. But, the people probably thought it was worth it.

    It's just like these cases that went to the US Supreme Court. They were actually giant risks because, if we lost, it would have been a giant set back for years to come. But, people felt it important enough to take the risk and, thankfully, it turned out great for everybody.

    That said, I don't want you to think that I think you think (LOL) that this is any less important. Because, I know you do. It's just what some people believed in that the risk was worth it for them.

    ReplyDelete